Archive for February, 2017
Announcing an open call for submissions for Broad Knowledge: 35 Women Up To No Good, an anthology of dark and speculative fiction in the Women Up To No Good book series, co-edited by H.L. Nelson and Joanne Merriam, to be published by Upper Rubber Boot Books.
Authors must identify as female, non-binary, or a marginalized sex or gender identity.
This anthology will be themed around the idea of knowledge (learning/science/education/training/etc). Stories may be funny or serious, set anywhere on or off the world, in any time period, but must feature female protagonists whose knowledge is integral to the plot/conflict.
- Word/page count: Up to 5,000 words/story.
- Payment: six cents per word.
- Genres: Dark and speculative fiction encompasses horror, science fiction, fantasy, and magical realism, and we welcome all of these genres.
- Publication history: Original stories only. Reprints may be submitted by invitation only.
- Multiple submissions: No.
- Simultaneous submissions: No.
- Deadline: 30 May 2017. We plan to reply within one to two months from the deadline.
- To submit: Send to joanne at upperrubberboot dot com:
(a) your complete manuscript as a .RTF,
(b) a bio of 100 words or fewer, and
(c) make sure you provide the following information: legal name (if different from the name you write under), mailing address, and word count.
Put “WOMEN UP TO NO GOOD” in the subject line.
- If the work is a translation, please also provide a statement from the rightsholder that you are authorized to translate and submit it (both author and translator will receive full payment).
We encourage and welcome stories from voices underrepresented in speculative fiction, including (but not limited to) writers of color, LGBTQ writers, writers with disabilities, and writers in translation.
25 February 2017
Psyched to see PBS Newshour featuring Floodgate poets Geffrey Davis and F. Douglas Brown’s “What I Mean When I Say Harmony“!
13 February 2017